When it comes to great red French tip nails, it’s hard just to pick one design. In fact, red tips are so versatile and work for so many occasions, Holidays, Valentines, statement nails, etc. that my guess is you’ll want to try several different designs before you find a favorite.
In the meantime you can steal some of my fun design ideas for red French tip nails:
- Add a small heart or star design on the center of the nail. Try contrasting colors like white or black to create a pop of interest.
- Use metallic red polish for a festive holiday look
- For a unique twist, incorporate a textured finish, like matte or holographic nail polish.
- Add a stripe of glitter along the tip for a hint of sparkle.
- Experiment with different shapes, like almond, coffin, or ballerina, to give the nails a modern and edgy look.
- Pair the red French tip with a neutral base color, like soft pink or beige, for a soft feminine look.
Want more inpso? Check out these baddies and bookmark your faves to share with your nail tech.
1. Classic French manicure with red tips
A classic French manicure is created with a pale pink or neutral base color on the nails, with a thin white band painted along the tips of the nails.
The look is meant to mimic the appearance of your natural nails for a polished put together appearance.
When you use red polish instead of white on the nail tips, you create an edgy modern take on a classically clean, polished, and natural look.
Can you say gorgeous?
2. Ballerina red French tip nails
Ballerina nails are usually longer and more tapered at the ends than coffin nails or square nails. They are called “ballerina” nails because their shape looks similar to the pointe shoes worn by ballet dancers.
Ballerina nails are a versatile nail shape and look stunning when done as a French manicure with colored tips.
3. Short square red French tip nails
Red French tip nails squared shaped are elegant. This shape is a classic choice for any French manicure but looks particularly sophisticated with red tips. For an extra dose of sophistication try this look with a neutral base or on nude nails.
4. Coffin nails red tips
Red French tip nails on coffin shaped nails are long and narrow, with a squared-off tip. They are named after their coffin-like shape, which is similar to the shape of a coffin.
This popular shape provides plenty of space for nail art and flourishes. With long red French tips, coffin nails look especially dramatic.
5. Gold star accented red French tips
Loving these oval red French tip nails with gold star-burst accents. The easiest way to get this look is to use nail stickers. If you have a steady hand you can use a nail art brush with gold gel metallic polish or a jelly nail stamper.
6. Micro red tips
For a minimalist look, try micro red tips. This is the easiest look to DIY at home. After applying your base coat (and letting it dry of course!) use a jelly nail stamper to apply a super thin line of red polish. Cute, subtle, and modern, there are so many ways to play with this look. Try adding additional lines of colored polish to your tips for a rainbow effect.
7. Red French tip nails short
For a spin on your classic red manicure, try a single red-tipped nail as an accent nail on your ring finger. Style with a gold watch and gold rings.
8. Dark red French tip nails
What does using a dark red polish on your red French tips say about you as a person? It says you’re not afraid to make a statement or take risks. It says “bring it, I can handle it.” Love this look.
9. Red French tip nails with glitter
Add some subtle sparkle to your life by choosing a red glitter polish for your French manicure. Perfect for an understated night on the town, a holiday party, or just a fun girl’s night in.
10. Almond shaped red tip nails
Almond shaped nails are one of my all-time favorite nail shapes because they look good on literally all types of hands. The length and gently tapered smooth tips elongate fingers and are especially flattering if you have thick or fat fingers.
11. Red French tip nails oval shaped
Oval nails lend themselves well to a traditional French tip look, especially when you use a clear or neutral polish as your base color like this nude milky pink. This look also looks amazing on black French tip nails.
12. Checkerboard red French manicure
This red checkerboard French manicure stands out in its originality. Perfect Formula One manicure. We’re off to the races with these nails!
13. Wavy red tips
Wavy designs are showing up in all different manicures but I especially like the versatility of this white and red wavy nail art paired with a single red tip on the ring finger. Total Willy Wonka vibes here.
14. Simple elegant red tips
Elegant and modern, these asymmetrical red tip nails are a fresh take on a French manicure. I’m expecting we’ll see a lot more colors in this design this year. Try this look on Valentine’s with pink French tip nails.
15. Double red French tips
What’s better than red French tip nails? Double red French tip nails. Add a cute little heart and you have an adorable manicure that tells the world you’re not only fun to hang out with but you also aren’t afraid to take chances.
16. Red dots on French manicure
Despite red dots on nails being an older pre-2020, these red French tips still give off a cool vibe. Think Vampire Diaries reruns or an evening in the French Quarter
17. Red on red high gloss tips
Matte polish paired with high gloss creates an eye-catching combination. You can try this contrasting textural look with different colors. For example, red on red high gloss black tips instead of red for an edgy rock-n-roll look.
18. Tiny hearts on red tips
Perfect for Valentine’s, weddings, or anniversaries, little hearts look adorable with red tips. Try this with tiny white hearts on red tips. Queen of Hearts anyone!?
19. Red French tip nails toes
Red French tip nails on toes? Absolutely! For an extra festive look try the red tips with a metallic red polish. This look works best with a nude base.
20. Crystals on red tips
You can get this look by using red nail polish as a base, then adding the crystals to the tips using nail glue or a clear top coat to secure them in place.
Crystals can be a fun way to add some sparkle to your nails. They can be placed on just one or two nails as an accent, or used on all of the nails for a more dramatic effect. Crystals come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, so you can pick the ones that fit your personal style.
A step-by-step guide to creating a classic French manicure with red tips
- Prep your nails: Use a metal cuticle pusher to gently push back your cuticles. Then file and shape your nails to your desired length and shape.
- Apply a protective base coat to all of your nails. This will help your colored polish to adhere better and last longer.
- Apply two coats of neutral-colored polish to your nails. Wait for each coat to dry before applying the next.
- To create the French tip, paint a thin line with red polish along the tip of each nail. Start at the center of the nail tip and extend the line out towards the edges to create a smooth, even line. Allow the red polish to dry before moving on to the next step.
- Once the red polish is completely dry, apply a top coat to all of your nails to seal in the color and give the polish a glossy finish.
- To clean up any mistakes or excess polish, dip a nail brush into acetone and gently brush away any excess paint that got on your skin.
With practice and patience, you can easily learn to create a classic French manicure with red tips that will add a touch of glam to any outfit.
Kim is an expert, with over 7 years in the nail art and makeup industry. She is an avid DIY nail artist and now contributing writer at BeautyStack.